Category

Community

The future’s Bright(on). The future’s UX.

I was privileged to attend UX Brighton in the first week of November. Not to be lumped in with the glut of web design conferences of various flavours around the UK, UX Brighton is different and – yes – in a good way. Many conferences have higher profiles, others have slicker marketing and unrelenting promotional pushes. The brainchild of Danny Hope however, now in its fourth year, is...

Return to the garden

(or: Designers Assemble!)   I shouldn’t need to declare support (again) for the pursuit of responsive web design as the future for online design. What irks me though is not so much a sense that visual design is being compromised in order to achieve a responsive outcome, but that the fact is not being acknowledged. For what it’s worth I’m writing from the standpoint of...

Adapting to responsive

Responsive web design has reached the grand old age of two and remains the single most important shift in design and development for the web since the advent of CSS. Broken record I have written previously about the dangers of dogmatic approaches, emphasising that we should move in the direction of responsive design increasingly and methodically. RWD is not however a be-all-and-end-all. It is not...

Putting the spotlight on ‘delight’

Disclaimer: I tend to react adversely to industry buzzword memes. A new word has been gradually creeping into the design industry lexicon. Designers should now, apparently, design for “delight” – and once again a word has been introduced without context into the forefront of design debate. I’ve avoided ‘cool’ for most of my professional career. I don’t do...

Reflections on Refresh

…or how I learned to stop worrying and love the Responsive Summit. Apart from work itself, two industry events dominated last week for me. I was directly involved in one, but watched the other from afar with many others. As it transpired the two were not unrelated. On Monday evening I was fortunate enough to co-host a session of RefreshBelfast with none other than Richard Weston under the title...

About

In My Experience is the personal blog of Rick Monro, a designer & researcher in Belfast, N. Ireland

@monro on Twitter