Category

Community

A criminal past

My name is Patrick Stuart Monro, and I have a criminal past. Some weeks ago this thought occurred to me: If I’m ever harsh about designers overly concerned with visuals on the web, it’s because I’m talking about me 10-12 years ago. — Rick Monro (@monro) April 3, 2014 It had begun to feel that so much of what I was saying, whether on Twitter or off it, sounded like that old...

Thankful.

I’ve been fortunate to work alongside many, many talented professionals in my career, including designers and non-designers alike. While I benefitted from the influence of each, I also know I could have learned so much more had I been more perceptive at the time. Shamefully, I’m not sure I have let all of them know how helpful their influence was. While all of those people have helped me to...

Get off the bandwagon and push

I loathe the term ‘UX’. It reeks of modish but shallow industry acronyms that come and go with changes in the wind. It devalues what user experience research and design represents, reducing it to a buzzword that is suddenly everywhere and which doesn’t even begin to communicate the value that, as with all design, it can deliver to businesses and organisations. This was brought to my mind again...

The UX of Edinburgh

At the end of last month I had the pleasure of not only attending, but contributing to the excellent UX Scotland, a UX design conference held in a striking venue in the middle of a beautiful city. Crucially, unlike a plethora of other design events, UX Scotland didn’t try to reach beyond its stated remit. Instead it addressed the ever-growing UX industry in a practical and comprehensive...

The future’s Bright(on). The future’s UX.

I was privileged to attend UX Brighton in the first week of November. Not to be lumped in with the glut of web design conferences of various flavours around the UK, UX Brighton is different and – yes – in a good way. Many conferences have higher profiles, others have slicker marketing and unrelenting promotional pushes. The brainchild of Danny Hope however, now in its fourth year, is...

About

In My Experience is the personal blog of Rick Monro, a designer & researcher in Belfast, N. Ireland

@monro on Twitter