I was fortunate to speak this week at the latest event from Ladies that UX Belfast, ‘The Winding Road to Design’.
My theme was growth through self-awareness, which featured a model for self-reflection adapted from the ‘Making-of’ model by Mikael Krogerus & Roman Tschappeler To reflect on any given situation (a project, an objective), think about:
- What strengths did you bring? What qualities or experience did you draw on?
- What support did you have? Was a particular person(s) involved? Particular resources?
- What resistance did you meet? What challenges or obstacles were put in front of you?
- How did you grow or develop? Was it incremental, or substantial?
- For successful situations: what can you reproduce to achieve a similar result next time? What patterns do you see in successes you have had?
- For unsuccessful situations: what factors need to change in order to achieve a different outcome? What have you been lacking, and how can you introduce what is needed?